Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg is on a hiding to nothing by opting to make a public apology over his party’s’ failure to keep tuition fees down.
He/they made a pledge before the election that he/they would vote against any such rises. He now says this was a promise he/they couldn’t keep. And he’s sorry….he’s so sorry.
“We learn from our mistakes“, he says. I hope those who voted for the Lib-Dems expecting to see a change in British politics have learnt from their mistake too.
A clever video has turned his speech into a song and is going viral. It makes for a very catchy tune too.
Clegg may have screwed up politically but he could just have a hit record on his hands here! Maybe he could make an album and call it ‘Promises…promises”. He certainly will need to think about a new career pretty soon!
- Nick Clegg: I’m sorry for breaking tuition fee promise (independent.co.uk)
- Nick Clegg apologises for tuition fees pledge (guardian.co.uk)
- Nick Clegg apologises over broken tuition fee promise (standard.co.uk)
- Nick Clegg apologises to voters for breaking tuition fee promises (itv.com)
- Nick Clegg: “We made a pledge. We didn’t stick to it – and for that I’m sorry” (libdemvoice.org)
- Clegg apologises over tuition fees (express.co.uk)
- Nick Clegg: ‘When we are wrong, we hold our hands up’ (itv.com)