Excited to hear that The John Peel Centre for Creative Arts in Stowmarket, Suffolk have been given exclusive access by the family to the record collection at Peel Acres which includes 25,000 LPs, 40,000 singles and many thousands of CDs.
Tom Barker, the centre’s director, describes the collection as “one of the most important archives in modern music history.”
With the help of funding and resources of the Arts Council and the BBC, they have an ambitious plan for this unique collection to be transformed into a digital service known as The Space, enabling visitors to view John’s home studio.his personal notes, archive performances and filmed interviews with musicians.
John Peel’s wife Sheila Ravenscroft, affectionately known as ‘the pig’ because of the way she snorts when laughing, says : “This project is only the beginning of something very exciting”.
Sounds like something worth snorting about to me.
- John Peel’s record collection will be an online museum (brooklynvegan.com)
- Legendary DJ, John Peel’s Record Collection To Become Online Museum (wcbsfm.radio.com)
- John Peel’s Massive Record Collection Will Be Available Online In May (spin.com)
- John Peel’s Record Collection to be Displayed (wiretotheear.com)
- John Peel’s Record Collection to Be Preserved in Online Archive (girlinthearchive.wordpress.com)